Who are the Sister Disciples of the Divine Master?
Founded in 1924 in Italy by Blessed James Alberione (1884-1971) we form part of the Pauline Family. This is a family of priests, religious and lay people whose mission is: ‘to live and give Jesus Master to the world’. We are a community born of the Eucharist, open to the newness of the Spirit and inserted within our socio-ecclesial context. We are an international Congregation of religious women. Our consecrated life is centred on the Eucharist — a life of prayer and intercession for all of humanity.
The communities have a strong contemplative-apostolic lifestyle of loving and active silence. In religious profession we publicly assume the obligation of living this Rule of Life in communion with our sisters and to fulfil our mission at the service of the Eucharist, the Priesthood and the Liturgy. In our apostolic activity we seek to make the Eucharistic Jesus known, loved and adored.
We promote liturgical formation and animation in various ways among the clergy and laity. This is done through the production and distribution of sacred art, liturgical furnishings, and vestments, together with an active participation in the life of the Church. We are associated with the ministry of the priest, just as Mary was with Jesus. In this aspect, we offer a space of prayer and hospitality through Bethany House which reaches out in a particular way to priests in need of rest and spiritual renewal through community support and prayer.
Our charism is lived out in missionary and multicultural communities of which we have two in Ireland — one community in Dublin and another in Athlone. We are in the five continents and in 31 nations where we have Chapels of Perpetual Adoration. There, we are known as the ‘apostles of the Eucharist.’